Recipes & Updates from the 2007 Growing Season!
PLEASE NOTE: SPROUT WILL NOT MANAGE A CSA FOR THE 2008 SEASON.
For more info email info@sproutorganic.org. To be on SPROUT's mail list email .

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Recipes from Mim: RADISHES

When I saw the lovely radishes at the farm stand, I knew it was time to pull out the old radish recipes that I’d collected a few years back when we had them in abundance, and the cry went out: What do we do with radishes beside slice and toss in a salad. We received lots of recipes, but alas, I can’t find them. I can’t image that I didn’t save them when I switched computers but, so it goes. And here goes with some new ones and one old favorite of mine. If you have an interesting radish recipe, please share it. And who knows, maybe I’ll find all of those old recipes in some file.

Buon apetito, Mim

****************************

Spring Radish Spread

1 8-oz pkg of cream cheese, softened (I think silken tofu would be a nice substitute if you don’t use dairy.
1-2 T prepared horseradish, drained (optional for my preference)
1 T chopped chives or green onion tops (or dried onion flakes)
1 t fresh dill or a pinch of dried
½ t salt (more or less to taste)
1 C finely chopped radishes (I used the French Breakfast ones)

You can fiddle with this and add any herbs or seasonings. I added a little celery seed.

Mix all ingredients together. Cover and chill about an hour. Serve on crackers or crusty French bread.

**************************

Braised Red Radishes
From Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

20 plump radishes, red or multicolored
1 – 2 butter
1 shallot, diced
1 t chopped thyme or pinches of dried
salt and pepper

Trim leaves from radishes & save if they’re nice. Scrub radishes, cut into halves or quarters. Melt butter in a small pan. Add shallots and thyme, cook for 1 min. over medium heat. Add the radishes, salt and pepper. Add water just to cover. Simmer until the radishes are tender, about 3 to 5 min. You can add the leaves, if you are using them, aand cook until they’re wilted and tender, 1 min. more. Remove the radishes to a serving dish. Boil the liquid, adding a teaspoon or more of butter if you like, until abut a ½ C liquid remains. Pour over radishes and serve.

************************

Radish & Vegetable Medley with Sesame Sauce
R. Albert-Matesz, Vegetarian Gourmet
(this makes a very large amount, so reduce
as necessary)

1 C thinly sliced radishes
1 C thinly sliced carrots
1 C thinly sliced onions
4 C broccoli
4 C cauliflower
2 C finely chopped cabbage

1 T toasted sesame oil
2 T tamari or soy sauce
1 T brown riced vinegar
2 T sesame seeds for garnish

Steam vegetables until tender, about 5 min. Plunge them into cold water and drain well. Transfer to a bowl. Roast sesame seeds in small skillet until lightly browned about 4 min. Let cool. Combine sesame oil, tamari, & vinegar in a small bowl. Toss with vegetables to coat. Sprinkle with seeds and serve.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger mim said...

In the recipe for Braised Radishes, I accidentally left out the measurement of the butter. It should be 1 or 2 Tablespoons of butter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home